6 Things You Need to Know Before Starting the Keto Diet
Netgenz - Health | With easy access to health information, more and more people are aware of maintaining a healthy body. One of the things that are most encouraged is to maintain or achieve good body weight in a healthy range.
Some people complain of being overweight until this pollutes their performance and health. It is not strange, nowadays more and more diet systems are spread on the internet. The keto diet is one of them.
Here are 6 Things You Need to Know Before Starting the Keto Diet
1. The basic principles of the keto diet
The keto diet is an eating plan with high levels of healthy fats, adequate amounts of protein, but low carbohydrate consumption. Citing Medical News Today, it aims to get more calories from fat than carbohydrates.
The basic concept of the keto diet is to use up sugar reserves in the body. When sugar reserves are depleted, the body is expected to start breaking down fat for energy. This process produces ketones which the body uses for fuel. When the body burns fat, the bodyweight will also decrease.
2. The keto diet is recommended only for 6-12 months.
There is no scientific information regarding the exact duration of the keto diet. However, based on scientific observations in the journal Cureus, the keto diet is recommended only for 6-12 months.
This is because the positive effects of diet, such as reductions in triglycerides, blood pressure, body weight, and increases in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol, often do not reappear after 12 months on the diet. Not only that, long-term bad effects can exist if the keto diet is carried out for too long
Make You Like: Skin Care - Tips on How to Take Care of the Skin for Hijabs
3. What are the advantages of the keto diet?
Still from similar journals, there are many benefits of living the keto diet. This diet is found to be able to reduce body weight and abdominal circumference without feeling hungry. This is because the ketones created throughout the diet can suppress appetite.
Not only that, the keto diet has been proven to both lower blood pressure, triglycerides, blood sugar, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and bad cholesterol. This effect is definitely good for some people with hypertension and heart disease.
For women who experience symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) such as irregular menstruation, obesity, and having excessive facial hair, the keto diet can be tried because it can reduce some of these symptoms.
In addition, the keto diet can also have a positive effect on some people with diabetes because it can lower insulin resistance and HbA1C content. However, to be safe, ask your doctor before trying the keto diet.
4. Side effects to watch out for
Although it brings many benefits, like most other diets, the keto diet definitely has an effect. Citing the journal Media Nutrition Indonesia, some of the short-term effects that are widely felt include:
- "Keto flu" (dizziness, dizziness, weakness, tiredness, difficulty exercising, lack of sleep, and constipation).
- Digestive problems such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, and pain in the stomach.
- Headache and dehydration.
- Skin rash and muscle stiffness.
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
- Increase in LDL and uric acid.
At the same time, if the diet is not carried out properly, it can cause long-term effects such as fatty liver, kidney stones, low protein content, and vitamin deficiency.
5. People who are not advised to follow the keto diet
Due to the thought of its potentially harmful effects, some people with certain conditions are not recommended to go on the keto diet.
According to a report in the Journal of Clinical Lipidology, people with stories of hypertriglyceridemia, chronic pancreatic disease, and hypercholesterolemia are not recommended to follow the keto diet.
Meanwhile, some people with acute illnesses such as diabetes mellitus, heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease, and cancer must be under the supervision of a doctor if they want to do the keto diet.
6. How to do the right keto diet
In order to lose weight without disturbing effects, you should follow these suggestions when starting the keto diet:
- Reduce the consumption of protein and carbohydrates gradually to <1 g per kg of body weight.
- Stay away from sugar, juice, sweet fruit, alcohol, and other sugary foods.
- Choose foods high in unsaturated fats such as fish, avocados, eggs, and nuts.
- Can eat meat, chicken, etc. but not too much.
- Choose low-carb vegetables such as green vegetables, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and so on.
- Balance with regular exercise, a minimum of 150 minutes/week, and adequate rest.
- Do the diet only in a short period (6-12 months).
- If you have an acute illness, ask your doctor before starting a diet.
- If you experience the effects of the diet, contact your doctor immediately.
There are many things that are important for you to know before starting the keto diet. Do not let the desire to gain a good body weight crumble because of improper diet steps. I hope your diet is a success, yes!.